Thursday, January 31, 2008

Tough Month - closed trades equity curve


I was just looking at how January went and it wasn't all that pretty - like many long term traders. Not surprising considering the All Ords is down over 10% since the end of June 2007. Any gains that may have been around at the end of December were severely damaged in January 2008. Still I have a slight profit for the year, probably similar to putting my money in the bank - which is where most of it is at the moment.

Most of the open trades have turned into closed trades over January. I have left open trades off this chart, although there are not too many of them. For the first time since I started trading systems the open portfolio is in a slight loss situation.

Currently drawdown from the peak on the chart (on the 24/12/07) above to current is around 11% and could go a little lower depending on what the open trades do.

I seem to be very busy of late with work, travel and other projects (obsessions!) but I am still able to follow my system, which is very fortunate given the state of the markets at the moment.

I am afraid that I have no words of wisdom. If you are trading a long term system that you "know" works then hang in there!

regards
stevo

4 comments:

Nizar said...

Hi Stevo,

Firstly, congratulations on a great year in 2007.

Secondly, you wrote:
"For the first time since I started trading systems the open portfolio is in a slight loss situation. "

That's a fair effort. When did you start trading systems?

Either you didn't start in 2001 or your system is much better than mine!

Probably the latter!

Nizar.

stevo said...

Nah - I have a selective memory! I tend to remember the good times better than the the bad. So, in hindsight, I probably should have said "As far as I can remember since I started trading systems ..."

I didn't get TradeSim until the end of 2001. Prior to that I was working with Roy's Trade Equity code. What a revelation! Lots of things didn't work, but finding what did was much harder. I wandered around in the dark with it for quite some time until I stole enough of other people's ideas (thanks Adam, Glenn and many others) to come up with something that was I convinced myself was workable.

I tend to count the beginning of 2003 as my start in system trading. My equity curves use 1 January 2003 as a start time. I have a pre-systems / post-systems mentality!

A very fortunate time use as a start date, although the market did drop 10% in the first few months of 2003 triggering a system revision. It was probably really tough in those first few months - although the equity curve probably doesn't show it that well.

Whether one system is better than others only the future will tell!

LTCM (Long-Term Capital Management) looked really good for a few years, averaging smooth 40% annual returns (according to Way of The Turtle), and then the fund collapsed in a heap. I believe the guys behind it were really really really smart! I should get the book Where Genius Failed by Roger Lowenstein.

stevo

Nizar said...

Hi Stevo,

Yeh those LTCM guys were very smart.

It wasn't their methods that were flawed, rather, it was a combination of a couple of black swan events (Russian defaulting on their debt, Asian crisis) and high leverage.

Their total equity was about $4billion yet their exposure was $100billion+. Pretty crazy.

It is said that there are 2 types of people who fail at trading. Those that know nothing and those that know everything. LTCM guys definately of the latter.

All in all - Way too much leverage for my liking. I might go out and grab that book, would make a good read i reckon. Another good one is the one about Enron - The smartest guys in the room. I've read that and do recommend it.

Nizar.

stevo said...

Nizar
High leverage sounds like a flaw in a method. Also these black swan events seem to occur frequently enough that there needs to be some consideration of them in any method.

Not saying I have it all wired, I just don't leverage when it comes to trading - which makes the risk of self destruction very low. There isn't a huge amount I can do about black swans although they tend to happen often enough that they should at least be in our test periods.

In TradeSim it is worthwhile having a look at the portfolio heat chart if you are using leverage. I just ran a simulation with 5% margin requirement. It was going ok until April 2000 came along. Risk exposure went from a mundane (but very scary) 200% plus to over 4000% and the portfolio crashed.

stevo