Monday, May 11, 2009

Profit to Risk - current portfolio


I thought that Profit to Risk on current trades was a good way to see how the portfolio was tracking. The chart shows actual trades in the market.

A profit to risk of -0.5 would mean that the trade is half way to the maximum risk for the trade. So if risk was $10,000 then a profit to risk of -0.5 would mean that the trade is down $5,000. A profit to risk of -1 means that it would be time to sell.

This portfolio is showing some promise. I have some buying to do today.

Since I changed bank accounts part way through this financial year my records are in a bit behind, which is why I haven't been reporting portfolio performance (or lack of) on the blog. I have to link another bank account to my cash book in Stockmaster, whilst not losing data from the old account. I am sure that it is easy to do but I haven't worked it out yet.

Thanks Comsec for complicating my record keeping and adding an extra bank account to the mix! They have a set up where I have a Cash account and an Investment account. Everytime I make a trade I have to remember to transfer the correct amount from the Investment account to the Cash account so the trade can be settled. If I buy a few shares and sell a couple over a few days I have to do the maths and make sure that the correct amount is in the account. If I try to maximise interest I have to transfer the funds on a daily basis. If I am short then they charge a $50 plus fee even if there is millions of dollars in the Investment account, although if I ring them they supposedly waiver the fee. I have had to ring them once this year already.

I should have left things as they were rather than chasing a little bit more interest. I was 100% cash and an extra 1% (or something like that) seemed worth it at the time.

Enough of my complaining.

stevo

1 comment:

plan_trader said...

Hi Steve,

The Commsec set up is a pain. I think it is designed to make them extra money as customers will leave funds in the low interest account rather than transfer.
Maybe look at Etrade - they have a high interest account curently 2.7% above 500k. Or even NAB broking, I think it is 3.25% on theirCash Investment Account.

Gary