Saturday, August 22, 2009

Cheap netbook & Amibroker


I loaded Amibroker onto a small 10" Kogan Agora Pro laptop to see how it would go. I had no problems installing and running Amibroker on the netbook - not all that surprising except it's running a version of Ubuntu linux called gOS. It just installed using Wine without any hassles.

It's not all trouble free, help and the editor seem to have some bugs, but as a small cheap travel computer to monitor a system it would work quite well.

The laptop itself is running surprising well - 2gb ram & 160gb hard drive for $439 plus postage is not bad. The wireless is not as powerful as my Dell but works ok. Considering that you can pay twice that for an iPhone it's quite impressive. Whilst it won't make a phone call it does come with Skype ready to go and a webcam built in - I'd like to see Amibroker run on an iPhone!

The screenshot is of one of my current trades, FXL. It's a very nice trade so far, although it's not over yet.

stevo

2 comments:

Lionfish said...

Great blog Stevo!

Adam suggested I have a look around!

Keep up the great work. Its a wonderful read.

Salvador said...

Hello Stevo, what a great blog. I found the blog last night and read all postings already...really great. Since I am myself on the verge of starting to trade one system I developed, I ask you, do you find weekly time frame better than the daily one?

Since you're using Weekly I guess not many signals pop up or not really?

What is the criteria you use I mean, do you have a fixed portfolio where you take signals from lets say a universe of only 45 stocks, or you just keep taking what comes by? I have the impression you take signals that come along on the universe of your index...

Also how much do you risk per trade? 1%? 2%? What about portfolio heat? Is there a defined maximum market risk? (for example a 10% portfolio heat meaning only 10 positions opened at 1% risk is allowed)

Thank you and hope all goes well,

Regards from Portugal,

Salvador