Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Don't look back!

Whatever you do don't look back - always look to the next trade, or the next 1000 trades.

I sold CBH at 63.5 - 64 cents just after the open on Monday. The exit only just triggered, 0.5 cents higher and I wouldn't get the exit. Another trader I know spoke to me after the close; "did you see CBH. It closed at 71 cents!"

Since I trade a weekly system my rules allow me to sell anytime I like in the week, although my strong preference is to get out early. So if I had held them another day I might have made substantially more money. My super fund bought in at 46 cents for a return of around 38%.

I have a rule - once the trade is done I remove the stock from my watch-list and put the chart in the completed trades list. I don't follow the stock after I sell it.

I told him it's past history. It doesn't matter what CBH closed at if I am not holding them. Just move on, make the next trade and don't look back. There are other trades and other opportunities. If I delay the trade next time hoping for a better exit it is just as likely to go against me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Stevo,

Firstly congrats with your performance so far.

Just a few questions:
1/ What signal do you use for your exits?
It looks like an ATR based stop.

2/Re: your comment about CBH. Wouldnt you want to keep in on your watchlist just in case it breaks out again?

Many Thanks.

Regards,
Nizar