Sunday, June 01, 2008

May 2008 Portfolio Performance

I have a lot of open trades that are showing promise, as can be seen in the equity curve below.


The ideal situation for me would be for no profitable exit signals to fire at least until next financial year, delaying any tax implications until the following financial year. But exit signals have to be taken when they are triggered.

The above chart shows closed trade profit or loss for each quarter, except for the last quarter. The last quarter is dynamic - it shows trades that have not yet been closed.

The first quarter 2008 was the worst quarter I have experienced since Jan 2003. The second quarter is shaping up ok. There was a bit of a surge in the stocks I hold at the close of the month and I wouldn't be surprised if they fall back a bit next week.

The average trade length from January 2003 until May 2008 was 148 days and the longest trade was 694 days (RCD: opened 5/5/03,closed 29/03/05), so I am not day trading.

stevo

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for showing some results Steve, I was interested to see your average trade length, I am developing a long term weekly system myself & seems the best system is holding under a year. If the stop is any looser the drawdown increases & you just wallow on with the market. Cheers, Dave (aka engtrader)

Nizar said...

Hi Stevo,

If you don't mind me asking was RCD your biggest winner to date?

From your 150-odd trades thus far, has there been a fairly clear and direct positive correlation between trade length and size of profit?

Nizar.

stevo said...

Nizar
RCD is not my biggest winner to date. It doesn't even rate in the top 3. IIN, MGX and CSM are the biggest percentage winners. I am a little dissapointed that I have not had any 200% plus trades in this portfolio.

I will try to post a scatter chart of trade length and profit for both my portfolios when I get a chance.

stevo