Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Yearly Performance


The yearly chart shown above gives a different view of trading performance from 2003 to June 2008. It good to step back and look at the big picture.

The last bar also contains substantial open profits. As I often mention percentages are difficult to calculate, but average returns are much better than the returns I would get out of commercial property - and lots less hassle.

2008 is looking pretty average compared 2007. I did add substantial sums of money throughout 2007. I haven't included bank interest or dividends to these results, they are just an added bonus.

I have cut back the number of trading systems from 4 to 2 systems. The main system has been running since 2003.

All systems are long term weekly trading systems. I don't short stocks and I don't use leverage, not because it's a bad thing but just because I don't feel the need at the moment.

stevo

3 comments:

Cameron said...

"As I often mention percentages are difficult to calculate, but average returns are much better than the returns I would get out of commercial property - and lots less hassle."

Interesting comment Stevo. I have a hard time conveying the whole property vrs shares thing to my significant other. She's an architect and enjoys renovating so I suppose it stands to reason. That the initial investment in a trading system is your time in order to develop it, and there after it's simply in run mode, continuing to serve you for very little ongoing effort and hassle makes perfect sense to me. I guess this frees up your time to do more things around the house, right??? :)

ASX.G

stevo said...

I guess having a trading system does free up time, but not for too much work around the house. I like mowing the lawn and sitting under the tree outside watching the world go by.

I have been busy on the music side of things, both learning to read music and play the concertina. Don't ask me why I picked this instrument. I am also building some small speakers for my computer music system.

I have also made an offer for my neighbour's house that was promptly rejected. Fortunately it's a buyers market and I think that she is coming around to carving off the bit I want (but don't really need).

stevo

Unknown said...

Hi Steve, nice returns, I would like to understand the percent return. Would you be able to normalise to $100K float or report in percent>

Cheers, engtrader / dave